Saturday, September 11, 2010

Isabelle Lafrance






ART IS A JOURNEY ~ by Isabelle Lafrance

I don't remember exactly when my journey started. There wasn't an event that sparked my creativity. It is just a part of me and has always been.

An artist's journey lasts a lifetime. There are bends in the road and crossroads. There are many people who inspire us daily. We are feeding our own creativity by enjoying their art. We meet mentors along the way, some will have a small impact while others will leave a lasting inspiration.

Sometimes the journey hits a roadblock. I do remember clearly the first roadblock I hit. My high school principal, who refused to let me attend the art class. He said to me: "You know, art classes are only for students who have poor grades. That way we make sure that they at least get their high school diploma. Since you are having good grades you will attend enriched Physics and Chemistry." Well, pardon me Mr., but I am not lazy nor stupid. I am passionate and need an outlet for my creativity. And by implying that art is for lazy or stupid students you are giving bad press to artists. That was my first roadblock, and I fought until I won. I'm so glad I stood for my beliefs at that time.

After a while I realized that most of the obstacles I encountered as an artist were not put in my way by others. I was being my own roadblock. By lack of faith, or confidence in my abilities. Also by what I thought others were expecting from me.

While every block led me to a deep reflexion and helped me go forward, I must admit I often wanted to put my creative mind aside. But since I can't, here I am still :)

I studied arts in college and my parents always had my back (though I'm sure they were relieved when I got my university degree in Psychoeducation. I now had a "backup plan".)Now I am a photographer. It's one and the same for me as I start with an image in mind and use the camera instead of a pencil or a brush.

What scares me the most out of this journey is the unexpected turns. I have no clue where and how it will end up. I started from drawing, to painting, sewing and knitting, now photography. It's scary and exciting at the same time...What will my next creative outlet be?


Excerpt taken from www.matissecolor.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cauta